picture

picture

Sunday, January 17, 2016

A little Anniversary R & R

Greetings from Paradise my Family and Friends!

Well, we actually got in a little rest and relaxation this week.  And I want to emphasize the 'little'.  It was our anniversary on the 16th and so we scheduled a night away from home at a little resort that is only about a five minute drive from our apartment.  It is called the Isla Hayahay.  This little resort is located on an island just off of Calape and is connected by a causeway, so we can just drive out there.  The resort was pretty damaged in the earthquake two years ago and so a couple purchased it and are really making it in to a nice place to stay.  The husband of the couple is from Australia and the wife from here in the Philippines.  They work really hard and are making some great progress with the place.  So we had planned this little get-away about a week ago and made the reservation.  We knew we could not get out there on our actual anniversary so we made reservations for the 14th.  And as luck would have it life got busier and busier and one emergency after another nearly derailed the whole thing.  But, we were able to get out there about 5:00 PM and have a nice dinner and an early bedtime as Elder Bell had to get up at 4:00 AM to take missionaries to the ferry.  He was so nice and let me sleep in then he came back and we were able to go snorkeling for a couple of hours.  That is the first time since we have been here that we have made it to the ocean to actually play for a while.  It was so great.  It completely and totally renews my spirit to stick my face in the water and watch colorful little fish swim around.  I just LOVE the ocean!  But, we were back at work by 10:30 AM so as I mentioned before it was a 'little' get away. All the same though, very much appreciated!

R & R at Isla Hayahay

The beautiful view from where I sat!                                           
We were able to make it out to work with a set of missionaries from Inabanga this week.  Sister Tahaafe is from Samoa and she is training a tiny little Filipina, Sister Samoya.  They are hard workers and I have watched Sister Tahaafe for a long while now as she has been here since we got here 4 1/2 months ago.  I have watched Sister Tahaafe work when she had been really sick. Her motto is, "My faith is stronger that my sickness.  God will help us if we help Him".  So not much keeps her down.  She called me for medicine the day after we had worked with them and so we ran up to their apartment to find her in bed with a fever and an ear ache.  I gave her the medicine and told her to stay in bed until the fever broke and she felt better.  She is pretty stubborn and before the day had passed she was up and dressed and out working.  We love these missionaries of ours.  They inspire us everyday by how diligently they work.
Sisters Tahaafe and Samoya with a family they are teaching.  (The family has 12 children in it!)
I was in the house yesterday preparing a talk when I heard this commotion out in front of the house.  I looked out there and saw this gaggle of boys trying to climb the new 'prison type' fence that just got installed around my yard. (Prison because it has really sharp pointy things all along the top).  They were trying to get to the large fruit tree that partly hangs over the sidewalk so that they could pick the fruit.  I opened the door to go talk to them and they all scampered down out of the tree and were about to run away.  I shouted for them to come over to the gate and they came thinking they were in trouble.  I told them they could come in and pick the fruit if they just asked me.  So they each took my hand and in turn blessed me.  (It is the custom here for children to take the hand of anyone older than them and touch it to their forehead.  They call it "bless', and all children are taught this respectful act from before they can talk).  They came in the yard and climbed the tree like monkeys and started picking the fruit.  I took them a box and they were having a great time.  Just then our landlord came along and shouted at them to leave the yard and never come back or he would call the police!  Yikes!  I had gotten them all in trouble along with myself.  I then got a 10 minute lecture on why he can't have the little boys climbing in the tree. I guess I can see his point, but talk about a party killer!

 The cute boys, so proud of their work!                                         
Sorry I have been so long winded tonight.  I can not tell you how much we look forward to writing our blog each Sunday night.  We think about it every day of the week and it keeps us motivated so that we won't disappoint all of you that read this.  Anyway, we really like to report our week to you.  It makes it  feel like we are all having this experience together.  So, as I close my part for this week, I just want to tell you all that we love you and that we would not be having this fabulous experience if it weren't for all of you.  Especially all of you that are taking care of our life back home, paying our bills, doing our taxes, taking care of our home and our cabin.  You are all wonderful and we thank you for your support!  I also want you to know that I love the Lord and His work.  I feel His hand in so many things that I do each week.  He really does care about the details of our lives and will make much more of us that we could ever possible make on our own.

Love you forever,
Sister Bell (Nanay, Lola, Amigo)

Hello to all from the Great Island of Bohol!

Well we finally were able get our Jeepney (Multi Cab).  We ordered this 2 1/2 months ago and have been waiting for its arrival.  You may ask yourself why would they need a Jeepney when the just received and new truck from the mission 2 weeks ago?  Well to answer that question you need to understand the transportation problems that exist all over the Philippines.  Most people (98%) do not own anything more than a motorcycle and 75% do not have one of those.  So they ride public transportation that exists (Bus, tricycle or back of motorcycle).  Also we sometimes need to transport missionaries for 2 hour rides to their area at 9:00 PM and public transportation is not available. That's not too bad if there are only 2 missionaries, but more times than not there are 10 or 12 Missionaries with some baggage.  With a truck or a car that sometimes means you make 2 separate trips and are driving into late hours of the night.

Well to make long story short. We can haul all the missionaries in one trip with baggage.  We also use it to help the District President and his Councilors visit the meetings and members on the other side of the Island.  There presence in the District with the members makes more difference to furthering the work of the mission than we can possibly do by ourselves.
So here is 'White Lightning' (the new ride, as named by the missionaries)

Who says that 20 Filipino's will not fit in the back of a Multi Cab

Now for story about Pilar: 

Pilar is the father-in-law of the Branch President in Calape (President Perez). He is about 75 years old.  He has been taught the missionary discussions for many years and many sets of missionaries.  Well I went to visit the Perez family about a month ago.  Pilar climbed a coconut tree to get some buko juice for us to drink.  Pilar and I hit it off very well.  He has been a hard working farmer his entire life and is still doing the same today.

We started teaching him the discussions again and for the first time he agreed to come to church.  He showed up the next week and asked where I was.  I went over to his house and explained I have to go to other Branches that are not as strong in Leadership as Calape.  To make a long story short, he has been attending church and has committed to be baptized.  I do not get to go with the Elders ever time they teach him, but I try to go 1 time every week.  I teach him the lessons I have prepared in Visayan and he helps we with the words I struggle with.  For 2 people that do not speak the same language we always enjoy the lessons and understand one another.

This week he fed us boiled Bananas and Coconut meat and milk.  He climbed the coconut trees and I was able to take some great video and pictures before the lesson.
Pilar coming down the tree
Well is has been another week in paradise.  Kathy and I had a great time on the anniversary get away and snorkel. Thousand of fish to see and we had a fantastic time together.  It is great to feel the Spirit as we work with the missionaries and the people.  That is the greatest part of paradise, for it is something that will last beyond this life.  I LOVE THE LORD AND LOVE OUR MISSION.

Salamat Kaayo to all,
Elder Bell (LoLo, Tatay & Amigo)



1 comment:

  1. hey grandma and grandpa!! i love you! i miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete