picture

picture

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Epic Crash!

Ayo Family and Friends!

Our week started out so Zen-ful….but it certainly did not end that well.
As you can see we started the week out well with a P-Day breakfast for all the sisters in our district.  There are 13 of us counting me.  So, we had breakfast together and then they really like to do yoga with me and I am happy for the company.  We really like to be together but there is always so much to get done with their one P-day that they can only play with me for about an hour and then they have to attend to all the other more important tasks of the day.

Me and the Sisters in our 'tree' pose!
So then that brings me to the end of the week and the epic crash!  As I have mentioned before, when ever we have some working bikes at our house we like to take them for rides in the early morning.  Well this week we were able to get out riding twice, which is pretty unusual.  We really like to ride out this causeway that takes us out to a little Island called Pangangan.  It is about a 40-45 minute round-trip ride.  We took off at about 5:45 AM and made it out to the island and were pretty close to home when the incident happened.  I was riding on the shoulder of the road and Elder Bell was on the pavement to my left.  We were riding close enough to each other to be talking.  I attempted to go up on the pavement from the mud I was riding in but in so doing my front tire being wet and muddy just slipped instead of grabbing the pavement.  At this point both of my wheels slipped right out from underneath me and sent me onto the pavement directly in front of Elder Bell's bike!  He swerved trying to avoid running directly over my leg and before we knew what happened we were a heap of gray hair, brittle bones, bike and blood!  I have no idea how he avoided running over me other than the fact that we have guardian angels that we work over-time.  When all was said and done Elder Bell has a really big owie on his knee and I wrenched my knee is such an unnatural position that I am in a bandage and limping pretty bad.  My knee is very swollen and I can not put much weight on my left leg.  I seriously think senior couple should all be assigned a full-time care-taker while they serve a mission. (Don't let this get back to the mission president…we will have our bikes taken away from us!)

The aftermath of a senior couple's early morning bike ride!
I just wanted to show you a picture of something pretty remarkable.  This are some of the young women from our Sagbayan Group.  These girls have all received their 'Young Womanhood Recognition Medallions'.  I want to remind you that we are just a group in Sagbayan so we have no Young Woman's Program.  These young woman work on the program all on their own!  I think they are so remarkable to do it on their own.  Two of these young woman have only been members of the church for not quite one year.  The other three are sisters and have been members for about four years.  The youngest of the sisters today just received her second medallion! (Loriann, you can use this picture to inspire your young woman to work a little harder).

Tis Racoma, Jessabelle Gambe, Leizel Racoma, Mariel Viador, Janey Racoma
(Double medallion)
Another great event we attended this week was in the Calape Branch.  Friday evening they had an activity to began preparing for typhoon season.  They have never done this before but decided that they needed to begin storing food and water enough for the entire branch so that when a typhoon or earthquake happens and the members gather at the church they can feed and house them for several days.  They learned the lesson from past experience.  In 2013 when the big earthquake hit they had more than 400 people living at the church for weeks and had no provisions for them.  It was a good experience but they realized they need to be better prepared next time.  I don't know much about the weather and climate here but folks are expecting a worse than usual typhoon season.  I am hoping for the best!!

We are sealing rice in smaller bags.  Enough that one bag can feed a family of 4 for one day.
The Calape Branch are asking their member to donate one cup of rice and one can of food each week for a few months to begin building up their supply.  You are thinking right now, 'only one cup of rice?' But, I am telling you it will be a huge sacrifice for most families to do just one cup of rice a week.  But, I really applaud their efforts and know that they will be blessed for their efforts.  Storing food is a very foreign concept for members here as they truly live day-to-day.  They never have enough pesos to even think beyond the present day.

Well, we have many more experiences to share this week as it has been a really busy week but I will leave that to Elder Bell.  I just want you all to know that we are doing fine, even taking in to consideration the bike accident.  I love serving here with my good husband.  I have really learned to appreciate the amazing man he is.  I am so happy to be able to have a husband that honors his priesthood and leads our family in righteousness.  He is such a great kauban (companion).  I couldn't ask for better.  We love what we get to do here and are amazed at all of the experiences we have in just one weeks time.  It is a fast pace and we are keeping up with all of it fairly well.  Pray for my knee to heal quickly so that I can be back at it very soon.  We get to meet our new mission president tomorrow and I was hoping to not do so on crutches!

Love you forever,
Sister Bell (Nanay, Lola, Amigo)

Hi Family and Friends,

Well back on the road again.  We had apartment checks this week on 35 apartments that are scatted across this beautiful Island we live on.  It takes three days and we stay for 2 nights in other parts of the island to avoid extra driving.  We do minor repairs to the apartments and replace broken items like irons, light bulbs, new frying pans etc.  We also check for cleanliness and remind missionaries when they need to clean up more.

On the other side of the Island it was St. Pedros Day and many were on the beach.
We were surprised to see so many on the beach.  They all work so hard each week they do not normally have time to go to the beach.  This holiday has a tradition that everyone goes to beach swimming in the Ocean. Now, this is a holiday that we could whole heartedly support!

On Saturday we had more baptism's in Ubay.  The baptism was at 4:30 pm this time.  We did not realize that at that time the tide would be out in the ocean. We had to walk about 400 yard out in the water so it would be deep enough.  I was one of the witnesses so I walk out with the missionaries.  I made the fatal error of not taking my cell phone out of my pocket before going in water past my belt.  That had a fatal effect on my phone.  oops!

The baptism was great.  There were four members of family baptized. They were sure ready for that step in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  They shared their testimonies at the baptismal service on the beach and also at fast and testimony meeting today.  They could not hold back the tears as the shared how they felt about the gospel and how it had changed their lives.  It is great to see so many that have so little possessions in this world give up so much for the light of the gospel we sometimes take for granted.


Tadio Alama Amolut being baptized by Elder Singsam

Tadio Alama Amolut, Elene Auto Manatad, Elisibeth Antor Manatad and Anita Atuel Autor Manatad.
Baptised by Elder Borrego and Elder Singsam.
It is amazing to see so many people come to the waters of baptism. It is also great to see some of those who were baptized at the first of our mission preparing to enter the temple.  I finished the last of the 7 Temple Preparation lessons for four members in Sagbayan Group that are preparing to go to the temple.  The Gambe's are going to be sealed and have their family sealed to them.  And her sister is going to take out her endowments.  This will happen in August.  Sister Claudia is going to be sealed to her husband that passed away 3 years ago and to her family.  That will take place the 1st of November.   Sister Claudia was one of the first teaching visits we attended with the missionaries at the first of our mission.

I am grateful the Lord has bless us with such a great opportunity to serve him in such a fertile part of his vineyard. I Love the Lord and I Love his work!

Daghang Salamat (the most thanks),

Elder Bell (Tatay, LoLo and Amigo) 


No comments:

Post a Comment